Greenwood Consultancy was started in July 2009 by Kate Greenwood. Kate established the business as a cultural heritage, environmental and arts consultancy. Kate has been passionate all her life about social justice and environmental issues.
Kate Greenwood is a Cultural Heritage Consultant and Archaeologist who has worked with Aboriginal people for over eighteen years and prides herself on being a person who listens to the needs of community. She is approachable, flexible and a hard worker. Kate has a background in cultural heritage and natural resource management, strategic planning and research.
Kate’s academic qualifications are:
- Master of Arts by Research. Topic: The State of Aboriginal Cultural Heritage in South East Queensland: an analysis of what is happening on the ground (currently completing)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Archaeology and Heritage Management
- Post-graduate Certificate in Archaeology
- Bachelor of Arts (Major in Environment and Planning)
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management
- Certificate IV in Government
- Diploma of Freelance Photography
- Environmental traineeship in Agroforestry and revegetation
Kate’s previous roles have included (although are not limited to):
- Cultural Heritage Manager and Technical Research Assistant (Turnstone Archaeology)
- HIS210 Explorations in Environmental History Tutor (University of the Sunshine Coast)
- Indigenous Tutoring Assistance Scheme Tutor (University of the Sunshine Coast)
- Research Assistant (Mimburi Upper Mary Aboriginal Association and University of the Sunshine Coast)
- Conservation and Land Management Coordinator, Trainer and Assessor (Look Now Training and TAFE QLD)
- Heritage Project Officer (Sunshine Coast Council)
- Strategic Planner- Aboriginal Cultural Heritage (Sunshine Coast Council)
- Development Assessment Student Planner (Maroochy Shire Council)
Kate is currently a member of:
- Australian Archaeology Association (AAA)- as of November 2018 I am the Queensland Representative for AAA
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS)
- Association of Critical Studies
- Australian Oral History Association
- Sunshine Coast Council Cultural Heritage Reference Board (SCCHRG)
- Aboriginal Victoria (listed as a Heritage Advisor)
The Greenwood Consultancy office is based on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, however, we work all over Australia.
What We Do
Community empowerment is very important to us at Greenwood Consultancy. Projects such as setting up cultural heritage databases and mapping are done in conjunction with community. Training is provided whilst sites are being recorded and documented so that community members can continue to undertake site recording etc. when any outside expertise have left.
Unlike most professionals in the industry, Kate Greenwood learnt most of her skills in the field with Traditional Custodians. Therefore, following Aboriginal protocol is crucial at Greenwood Consultancy. We have worked with Aboriginal people long enough to know that once protocol is broken, trust is broken. Projects run much smoother and have better outcomes for community when protocol is adhered to. Kate has backed up her lived experience and knowledge through attending University and attaining a Post-Graduate Degree in Archaeology and Heritage Management.
We are willing to listen to your needs and aspirations and put plans and actions in place to achieve them. We are here to establish fruitful working relationships that will continue to grow. Any initial conversations about projects will include important questions such as what does the community want and need? What ideas does the community have for achieving this? We work with community for the best outcome, as we believe that community usually has the answers instead of coming in with the ideas of what we think is best.
When we undertake any cultural heritage surveys we include other aspects that are not usually recorded but are important to community such as the recording of Traditional Ecological Knowledge (e.g. bush tucker/medicine). We also like to deliver a quality product that will be useful to community.
Kate loves reading law, and thus is good at analysing legal agreements e.g. ILUAs, CHMPs etc. and pin-pointing important elements of relevant legislation e.g. Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act (QLD) 2003. This can assist in securing good outcomes for both the land and its’ people.
Alongside Kate Greenwood, we have a pool of trusted professionals with varying expertise that we collaborate for any large or complex projects with in order to service communities better.
Greenwood Consultancy is all about the best outcomes for community and will strive to achieve this with all projects.
Who do we work with?
- Aboriginal communities especially Traditional Custodians
- Local, State and Federal Government Agencies
- Land Holders
- Private Industry
- Environmental and community not-for-profit groups
- Historical Groups